Oh cake, how we love you. We have an absolute winner for your next cake adventure in the kitchen. Great for an event or if you’re like us, great anytime. Bonus: We help you become kitchen savvy by showing you how to frost a cake in the summer issue! Take a look at pages 62-63.
Decadent Chocolate Cake
serves 8 • 1 hour and 40 minutes • $
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup brewed hot coffee
3-3 1/2 cups chocolate buttercream frosting (recipe below)
1/2 cup jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter then flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. To flour the pan, after buttering, add a little flour and tap the pan until there is a light coating of flour on the bottom and up the sides of the pan, discard any extra flour.
2. Use a dry mesh strainer to sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl, mix either with the paddle attachment of an electric mixer or and handheld mixer until thoroughly combined.
3. Combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl then slowly add to the dry ingredients. Next, slowly add the coffee and stir until just combined – be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
4. Pour the cake better into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pans for about 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
5. Fill a re-sealable plastic bag with the corner cut off or a pastry bag with frosting. Then, carefully squeeze the frosting around the outer perimeter of your cake; this prevents the jam from oozing out. Next, fill the center of your cake with jam. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3.5 to 4 cups powdered (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
1. Melt 8 ounces of milk chocolate either over a double boiler or in the microwave. To melt the chocolate in the microwave, place ¾ of the chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir the chocolate and continue to microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the chocolate is smooth and shiny. Add the remaining ¼ of the chocolate and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the softened butter, vanilla and salt. Beat on medium-low speed for about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Stop the mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add the milk and increase the mixer to medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the melted chocolate (should be at room temperature) and beat until combined, then increase the speed to medium and beat for one more minute. If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks.
*cake recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa0 LIKE THIS POST!